Category Archives: Educational Activities
‘ Now if the mountain does not come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain. If the poor boy cannot come to education, education must go to him’. – Swami Vivekananda
Since the dawn of human civilization the non formal education has been on the go. People in primitive days got educated through informal education and non formal education before the introduction of formal education system. Today non formal education becomes very relevant with the aim of taking back the dropouts and the adults to the mainstream of education and to make them conscious of life and occupation.
In our country in 1952 during the First Five Year Planning the introduction of non formal education was first conceived and it was given the name ‘social curriculum’. 1989 was declared as the International Literacy Year and India first gave much stress on non formal education in 1991 which was eventually the death centenary of Pandit Iswarchandra Vidyasagar.
From the very beginning there was a night school for the adults in Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama but subsequently it got closed. Again, the Ashrama has been organizing a non formal education centre since 1991. At present total no. of students in the sector is 50 including 26 male and 24 female students.
The objectives of establishing non formal education centers were
* To motivate the dropout children who have not gone to Primary School to enter into the fold of Education system.
* To develop in their various linguistic skills.
* To make them understand and appreciate the scientific phenomena in every day life.
* To develop in children the habits attitudes necessary for healthful living.
* To make children understand and appreciate cultural heritage and tradition of the country.